A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair on April 26, 1997. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in the environment.
In his project, he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical, dihydrogen monoxide, and for plenty of good reasons, since:
- It can cause excessive sweating and vomiting.
- It is a major component in acid rain.
- It can cause severe burns in its gaseous state.
- Accidental inhalation can kill you.
- It contributes to erosion.
- It decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
- It has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients.
- It is present in very high concentrations, in almost every home in the United States.
The student asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical. Of the 50, 43 said yes, six were undecided, and only one knew that the “chemical” was water.
The title of his prize-winning project was, “How Gullible Are We?”
He believes the conclusion is obvious.
Of course, this is an old, old, fun story, but just wanted to make sure everyone has heard it. Rather proud of this guy.
Photo credit: wikipedia