I live about an hour from the loveliest little spot for a vacation. Seriously, it has EVERYTHING!
Let me count the ways:
- Antiquing. Lots of antique stores for your viewing/shopping pleasure. One huge mall and many small near-museums with absolutely everything. Seriously, I almost hate to share this part of it. I want it all for myself…
- Horse racing. If you’re into that. I’m not.
- Art. Galleries galore, including such well-knowns as Kinkade and Chihuly, and several with geological finds that have been made into art, such as geodes.
- Riverboat ride with dinner and live music.
- Al fresco dining in a below ground restaurant–always cool by dinnertime.
- Real museums, including a Tussaud wax museum.
- Amazing architecture, totally astonishing architecture, at every turn.
- Breath-taking vistas
- Impeccable groundskeeping
- History, history, history–built with government moneys, yes, by your grandfather’s hands to keep your grandmother alive, before we paid people to do nothing.
- Food. Oh my. And prices that make you want to live there. One whole restaurant devoted to the breakfast of your dreams. Another to authentic German food, complete with live accordion polka music and a dance floor. Another, gourmet and pristine, a sanctuary for its guests and for its workers, who are legal immigrants, escaped from Romania, who wait on you perfectly and cheerily, with charming accents.
- Hotels. We’re talking, here, of totally expensive, but really worth it hotels, insanely beautiful, antique hotels…
- And–tada–fountains. Fountains full of water so hot, you can use it to make your tea; so pure, it’s piped to the public straight from the ground, to drink. Famously healing hot waters…
And now you know where it is: Hot Springs, Arkansas.
So impressive, the first time I went there, I was six, and even then, I knew I had to go there someday when I could see the whole thing.
Been there so many times, and haven’t seen it all, yet. Talking about it is never overdone.
For more photos, view here.
So…Where is YOUR favorite staycation?