Who is left?
Are there any people in this country who truly cannot home educate their children?
There are a few. They are the ones who have had their children taken from them. You cannot home educate children that you do not have.
- Those who are childless due to infertility or death, although they eventually may adopt or bring forth more children, cannot home school the ones they do not have.
- Those who have lost their rightful children to kidnapping, whether by the state or by individual criminals, of course are truly unable to home school these children.
- Those whose poverty includes living in the homes of others who are manipulative, or whose illness includes living in a hospital, may be forced to curtail home school activities until this situation is rectified.
- Those who’ve signed themselves up for crippling debt may be forced to work at something besides home schooling.
- Those whose prejudiced spouse sues for and obtains the legal right to terminate home schooling activities may feel that they are unable.
- Anyone in prison, or whose child is in prison.
Maybe there are more, but I certainly have not met them in the last 30 years.
We need to think about our excuses.
We need to realize that when we homeschool, we are setting the high standard, setting the example, of actually raising the children we brought into this world, instead of hiring it out and farming them out.
We need to want this.
We need to do it.
Photo credit: Library of Congress